Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Birthday Party Kits

These are samples of birthday party kits I created for my son’s school’s silent auction. The winning bid won a set of personalized party invites, goodie bags and thank you cards.

The idea for this set hit me while shopping for a birthday gift at the Lego store. I saw these flat rubber Lego coasters and tried to imagine using them on a card. Then I remembered this cute keepsake box (by Martha Stewart) with a dinosaur glued to the lid. I liked the idea and thought…hmm, why not use Legos? To make the Lego invite, I placed colored cardstock over Lego pieces and used my embossing tools to get Lego “bumps.” I like the bold look of the red, yellow and black cardstock for the faux Legos. Hope you can see the “bumps” on each faux Lego piece.



I used a template from another neat little book by Klutz, “Handmade Cards-Simple Designs for Beautiful Cards,” by Anne Akers Johnson, to make the box. (I bought this book years ago, but only just started using it this past year when I begin teaching an after-school card-making class to 4th and 5th graders. I love this book! It would make another neat gift for a little crafter in your family.) I glued some of my son’s old Legos (you can also purchase loose Lego pieces for under $5 at the Lego Store).




The thank you card uses the same embossing technique & a stamp from the Paper Source.


Here’s another sample of a birthday party set I created for the winter auction. I used another template from the “Handmade Cards-Simple Designs for Beautiful Cards,” to create this card. The card folds up on itself to make its own envelope. It can be finished off with a paper (or ribbon) band. I generated a computer printed invite and embellished the card with stickers and rub-on transfers.






I used a small, round wooden box from AC Moore to create the party favor. I covered both the inside and outside with paper and glued a chipboard letter to the front. Before covering the inside, I glued both ends of a piece of ribbon together inside the the lid so that the ribbon forms a loop on which to hang the box when the lid is closed. I love covering these little boxes with ribbon and paper, especially at Christmas and for Valentine’s Day. The thank you card was created using a Stampabilities stamp from the dollar bin at Michaels or AC Moore…I’m a big fan of those dollar bins! I embellished with brads and matted onto coordinating cardstock.


Another birthday party set created using a template from the wonderful “Handmade Cards-Simple Designs for Beautiful Cards. (Next time, I’d like to make this card with fabric.) I generated a computer printed invite to stick inside the purse. The ‘handles’ are made in a coordinating color and I used a large brad on the flap. The little favor bag is cased from a tutorial I saw on a card-making Blog awhile back. (Actually, I saw it on a few sites. I’m sorry I don’t remember where at the moment and can’t give credit, but I will check my files and do so at a later date.) I holed punched the sides, added flower brads and ribbon.




This last set is a birthday invite I created for my son’s rock climbing birthday party two years ago. I used a pre-made craft-paper card and a sheet of 12x12 rock paper from Provo Craft, which I purchased at Michaels. I cut around the rocks to give it a jagged-edged look and then used pop dots for a three-D effect. I used a pre-made hiking boot by Jolee and letter stickers.

I used the same technique with the thank you card, cutting around the rocks and used “Joe Cool Snoopy” from Stampabilities. (I love this guy…I’m a “Peanuts” fan from waaaay back.) The "thanks" stamp is from the Paper Source.
Thanks for looking…

No comments: