Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Skating Party Invites


The winners of the birthday party invites (donation for my son's school fundraiser---see previous posts) wanted an ice-skating themed party for their seven-year old son. The mom had an idea for a card…the child’s name written across the ice. I liked her idea but wasn’t sure how to implement the concept. I’m pretty computer illiterate and this is all I could come up with working in Word’s free style line shapes.

His mom liked the design concept but instead decided to go with this skate card I created from four templates that I made based on a photo of a skate that I liked. After tracing and cutting the templates from card stock, I pieced and glued them all together. I used the crop-a-dile and some eyelets on the tongue and craft cord for the laces. I added an appliqué embroidered letter (the child's first initial) as well as a tiny tag made by printing the child’s name onto card stock and adhering it to the skate.



I carried the skating theme through to the party favors by using a hockey stick stamp (Inkadinkado) and on the thank you cards by having ‘Joe Cool Snoopy’ (Stampabilities) holding both the hockey stick and carrying a pair of ice skates over his shoulder. The skate stamp and the word stamp are from the Paper Source. I paper pieced Joe Cool’s pants and jacket.





These cards were quite a bit of work (I made 20 of these babies!) especially since I committed the ultimate “no-no” in card making…I made the card without first checking the envelope size! So…I had to quickly make 20 envelops from 12x12 paper.



I loved making these cards and am pretty happy with the results...I think I'll keep them in my card-making repertoire!










Thanks for looking...

No comments: