Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Spoiled (& a crude, quick & dirty holiday tag)…

I may have posted earlier how I've been spoiled…craft store wise. I had no less than 6 craft and craft/fabric stores (Michaels, AC Moore, The Paper Source, Pearls, G Street Fabrics and Joann Fabrics) within a 5-10 mile radius from my home in Arlington, VA.

Now…I have 3 stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joann Fabrics) within a 47 to 55 mile radius from my home in Laramie, Wyoming and all… over the mountains in Cheyenne, Wyoming or Fort Collins, Colorado. Remember, I’m a city girl (even though Virginia does have its rolling hills).

So what’s a gal…who isn’t (yet) comfortable cruising along a two-lane highway or alongside Big Mac trucks flying down the Interstate, all at 75 to 80 mph…to do???

Instead of AC Moore, I’ve been cruising the aisles of Ace Hardware and True Value!! And what have I found? Options, baby. Options!

It’s amazing what a gal can do…when a gal has to do what a gal has to do…to get her crafting fix!



A (very) quick and dirty holiday “tag” I pulled together yesterday using some of my Ace Hardware buys, including a 1/18” thin piece of Balsa plywood from Midwest Products.

I got the idea while thinking about the upcoming craft bazaar I signed up for at the University Wyoming (UWYO) in early December. This will be my very first craft fair and I’m wondering…”What the heck was I thinking!!!!” I’m incredibly nervous, yet excited! I have several ideas floating in my head, some past creations and some new ones.

Backside of card, which I know doesn't really fit with the front.


Close-up of the front. I used a page from one of the many books that we were going to donate but that I decided to keep for my crafting purposes. This page is from an old Spanish dictionary. I accidentally stamped on it upside down!



My holiday tag is messy and crude and needs LOTS of tweaking…but it uses my Ace purchases (the Balsa plywood and garden jute) and some really old beads from another era…like almost 20 years ago! I plan to stamp on the wood itself, which I’m sure has been done before, to create an outdoorsy, natural look that I’m hoping might appeal to buyers at the UWYO craft bazaar.

My piece of Balsa wood is approximately 3”x35” and cost $1.65. I figure I can get anywhere from 6 to 8 tags from one piece of wood…plus it’s smooth, which means no need for a whole lot of sanding. Nice!

Thanks for stopping by…

1 comment:

Dawn T said...

Welcome back JJ.... missed your lovely work... and I bet you have gone into withdrawal. Love the tag and know you'll be able to make a few more.
You'll have to be an expert at on-line shopping now!!! Not sure what your internal postage is like but here in NZ I can pay up to $6.50 to have a parcel come by courier.
anyway hope you are settling into your new abode. take care